Monday, July 14, 2008

Just an introduction

I keep starting blogs and then realizing that they are titled too narrowly, and then I just delete them after a few posts. I hope that this one will be different.

I like to think of myself as kind of a renaissance woman. I love me some domestic crafts, minus housework. I am a child of an almost baby boomer. My mother was raised in the fifties and early sixties to believe that if a woman planned to work outside the home, really her only choices were to be a nurse, teacher or secretary. (My mom majored in home economics, earned a masters of science and became a registered dietitian.) My mother was a stay at home mom, for a large part of our childhoods, really not working full time outside the home until we were in middle school, when she started her own monogramming business. (In middle school, most kids don't know the difference between monograms and mammograms. That caused some questionable conversations at the time.) Our mothers were the first to have freedom from the domestic tethering common in most US households at the time. As time has progressed, we have been taught that we [women] are smart enough and can work outside the home and can be academically and professionally high achieving. . . and when I enrolled in a few womens' studies classes during my undergraduate education, I learned quickly not to say that it would be great to be a stay at home mom. GASP.

I went on to law school because my parents both have advanced degrees and I thought I needed one, too. Law school seemed like a great idea and, "you can do anything with a law degree." It was a lot harder to find a job when I graduated than I thought it would be. So, now by folly, I am in state government, and thinking instead that I should have been a nurse. We will see.

But, enough about education and really tough stuff. . My mom taught me to do so many things - and I want to focus on the domestic crafts that lots of women my age aren't into, anymore. I love to cook, talk about food, eat, read about food, and absorb all I can about food science. Home canning is fun, but messy, and I learned a lot on that one last summer. I like to create, in general. I like painting - both decorative and housepainting. I like to get dirty. I like to work in the yard, and if I could get our mower started, I would be absolutely willing to mow the lawn. I love to knit - this is the only hobby that I can't truly get enough of - and I will never know everything I need to know about it, no matter how skilled I become. I like to learn about all of the things that women (back in 'olden days' - before our mothers' mothers) used to do because of necessity. They put up vegetables and darned socks and would take apart the sweater from three years ago to knit up a new sweater for the growing child. They could birth a child on Friday morning, cook supper that night, and spend all day Saturday baking for Sunday's lunch. I don't like to clean or do housework, but I do find ironing somewhat therapeutic. I love me some Lifetime Television for Women. I know it is bad, but I can't help myself.

Feel free to comment as you like or ask questions - Comments that are in any way construed as snarkiness will be removed and you will be banned from access, so if you have a problem with something I wrote, then tell me and we can discuss.

Uh, so all of that creative need and my multiple hobbies have fostered my success in procrastination and my failure at organization. . so I am working on those, too. Finally, I named this blog "Do-Nest-icity" because it is about domestic things which involve my neverending desire to nest. I am a nester now, and have been for a very long time.

No comments: